MOTÖRHEAD!!! FUCKING MOTÖRHEAD!!!



Here's how I remember it:

I don't remember the first time I actually heard Motörhead... I remember hearing *of* them for ages, but I can't pinpoint the exact time Lemmy first molested my earholes.  MAYBE their appearance on The Young Ones? but logic dictates that I had heard them before 1985. I probably owned a comp or 3 that had  Motörhead on it... Catch A Wave, Geef Vor New Wave, Chiswick Chartbusters?

Whatever, I was familiar enough with them that I totally geeked out when, in early 1987, I heard that they were going to play an all ages show on Easter Sunday of that year. In 1987 I was 19 years old and had missed the change in the drinking age from 19 to 21 by a mere 3 months.

I was at the big family Easter dinner and had just finished eating when I excused myself and told everyone that I had plans to go see Motörhead. Puzzled looks fell on the faces of my entire family and a few were wondering who would go to a car show on Easter... 

 

 

 

 

As usual I don't remember anything about the show, to the point where until I found this recording I wasn't sure whether it was Philthy or Pete Gill on drums (it was Philthy). 


This was to be the first of many times witnessing the greatest rock n roll band to ever walk this or any other planet, I must have seen them a total of five, six, *maybe* seven times? I can't remember and no one reading this really cares. Suffice it to say that I saw Motörhead every time they played near me from this show in 1987 until 2015 when Lemmy's death effectively killed the band... aside from 2 shows that I skipped. 

One was the next year or so, back again at First Avenue. I had started singing in Iron Fist (possibly named after Motörhead's album of the same name?), and we heard that Slayer, Overkill, and Motörhead were booked to play. Iron Fist's guitar player, Nikki, and I went to the club and met general manager, head booker, and all around grumpy bastard Steve McLellan, and we BEGGED him to put us on the bill as the opener. We offered to play for free. We offered to do a twenty minute set. We offered to stick around after the show and help clean up. Steve was hearing none of it, even though he was a big Iron Fist fan. He claimed that there just wasn't any room for an opening band and walked away.

In protest I boycotted the show. I had seen Overkill already, and was not a fan of Slayer...

A few weeks after the show Nik and I were back down in the First Avenue main office on more band business. Steve heard us and poked his head into the office we were in and, almost tearfully and very honestly said "Boys, I fucked up. If I had put you on that show you'd be signed and touring right now." Anyone who met Steve would immediately tell you he was the grumpiest, most cantankerous bastard out there. But in this moment he showed true emotion and genuine remorse. In that moment, also, he won enduring admiration and respect from me, and I enjoyed playing for him and his club for many years after.

The other time I missed Motörhead was in the mid 90's when they played the local heavy metal club, The Mirage, and I wasn't able to get the night off of work to attend.

Another time I saw them, in the late 90's or early 2000's, I was able to get backstage where Lemmy was sitting by himself reading a book. My friend Mike (drummer of Quincy Punks) had somehow wrangled a spot as Mikki Dee's drum tech. and was able to get me backstage before the show. He took me back into the dressing room and said "Hey Lem, this is Ollie, Ollie, this is Lemmy. I gotta get to work." and he left us alone together. Lemmy went back to reading his book and I had to think quick. The LAST things he wanted to talk about were Motörhead and Ace Of Spades, so I had to quickly go thru a mental list of other topics of conversation. And then I hit on it.

I said "Hey Lemmy, I want your opinion on something."

Without looking up from his book he said "yeah, what's that?"

"Well, I want to know your ideas on how Herman Goering's experience as a fighter pilot in World War One influenced the way he ran the Luftwaffe in WWII."

Lemmy casually put his book down and asked me to repeat what I had just asked. I dutifully repeated myself and the man's eyes lit up as he stood up and shook my hand.

I'd *LOVE* to say that we had a half hour conversation, but in reality I got a half hour history lesson/lecture answering my query. Ultimately the tour manager popped his head into the dressing room and pulled Lemmy away, but not before I was able to secure another handshake and an autograph. I said "you're going to laugh when you see what I want signed" as I handed him a copy of the "men's magazine" Jail Babes (in which a fully clothed Lemmy appeared with to fully UNclothed women). He took it, signed it, and said "I wasn't laughing when we took those pictures, why would I laugh now?", and then left the room.

Ollie Stench, Mike Roberston, Lemmy Killmister


I now have his autograph framed and it hangs next to my bedroom door.

I know Lemmy never remembered me personally... he probably didn't remember exactly when or where, but I know he went to his urn remembering the fact that at some time some kid asked him a question he was genuinely interested in.

Anyway, back to the 1987 show. In the spring of 2023 I was trawling some bootleg sites and came across this recording. I'm always amazed when things like this appear so many years after the fact.

Here you go, Motörhead at First Avenue April 1987

  1. Iron Fist
    Play Video
  2. Stay Clean
    Play Video
  3. Nothing Up My Sleeve
    Play Video
  4. Metropolis
    Play Video
  5. Doctor Rock
    Play Video
  6. Deaf Forever
    Play Video
  7. Ace of Spades
    Play Video
  8. Steal Your Face
    Play Video
  9. Bite the Bullet
    Play Video
  10. Built for Speed
    Play Video
  11. No Class
    Play Video
  12. Orgasmatron
    Play Video
  13. Motörhead
    Killed by Death

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The half-a-time I saw The Damned

There's some Talk Talk of a band called The Psychedelic Furs

Siouxsie & The Banshees Minneapolis 1986