Marky Ramone Almost Cancelled


 Late 90s-ish and The Hostages were booked to open for Marky Ramone in the 7th St Entry. We were geeked. That Marky Ramone And The Invaders record was pretty cool, and Marky was as close to a living legend as I had met at that time.
The Hostages did our usual show and in doing so I accidentally kicked a monitor speaker off the stage while swinging from the lighting rig.
A guy I was friendly with was running sound and managing the night, and apparently was in a bad mood and threw not only me out after our set, he threw out the other Hostages (who had nothing to do with my accidental kicking the monitor off the stage [and was COMPLETELY un-damaged!])
I went down into the Entry dressing room and started packing my stuff up. Marky was there and, very honestly hurt, asked "ain't you's sticking around?" I told him what happened, and how I was 86'd and wished him a good show. He threw his drink on the floor and, genuinely upset, asked me if I wanted him to cancel his set. I told him there was a room full of fans upstairs and it wouldn't be fair to them if he canceled. He asked me again, and said "I'll fuckin' cancel if you want me to, that sucks they won't let you rock out!".
I wished him well, told him to play extra hard for me, and I left the building.
Say what you want about Marky Ramone, that night he was willing to cancel a show just for me. 

He's a stand-up guy.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The half-a-time I saw The Damned

There's some Talk Talk of a band called The Psychedelic Furs

Siouxsie & The Banshees Minneapolis 1986