A Night of Total DEVO!!!

 DEVO

First Avenue

Nov. 1 1988

Photos courtesy of the DEVO Live Guide

Here's how I remember it:

6-8 years earlier DEVO was the only reason I existed.  They were far and above my favorite band at the time. But time marched on and I grew from being a spotty young teen to a jaded spotty young adult and DEVO didn't hold quite as much sway in my life any more. But I wasn't going to let that stop me from seeing them at First Avenue!!! What WAS going to stop me was the recent change in the drinking age from 19 to 21, a change that I missed by a mere 3 months. So here I was, 20 years old, and unable to gain legal entry to see DEVO. What to do, what to do? Well, I did what any good young punk would do, I scammed my way in! 


I had just started my role as vocalist #4 in my favorite band, Iron Fist, a few months earlier, and we were darlings at First Avenue. To the point where they painted our logo on the outside of the building. This was right before they painted all the silver stars with band names, and I was beyond honored to have my band included on the literal wall of fame. So, being in the good graces of the staff of First Avenue, Iron Fist's guitar player called the general manager of the club, to see if he could vouch for me.  Of course I only heard one side of the conversation, but it went something like this:

"He Steve, it's Nik, Iron Fist. Hey yeah, so you know our new singer? H wants to go see DEVO but he had his wallet and I.D. stolen. Can I vouch for him so he can get in?"

Pause

Pause

Pause

"OK, great, thanks a lot Steve, we both really appreciate it!"

Then said guitar player tells me that my name will  be at the door but will absolutely NOT be on a guest list, that I would have to pay the entrance fee. Then he also said that "Steve" asked if we were available to play a few shows he was working on*.


Night of the show and I don't really remember much (as usual). I remember DEVO being good. I can't remember if they had their video projections or not, or if it was just a stripped down stage. But it was DEVO and I felt like a kid again.

Years later whilst trawling the internet's I came across a pretty good audience recording of the show, maybe from Booji Boy's Basement? I can't remember, but I got ahold of the show and now I post it here for your edutainment.

  1. Jocko Homo
  2. It Doesn’t Matter To Me
  3. Going Under
  4. Working In A Coalmine
  5. Happy Guy
  6. That’s Good
  7. Jerkin’ Back ‘N’ Forth
  8. Pity You
  9. Girl U Want
  10. Whip It
  11. Baby Doll
  12. Satisfaction
  13. Uncontrollable Urge
  14. Gut Feeling (cut)
  15. Gates Of Steel
  16. Booji’s Beautiful World




*that Motorhead/Slayer/Overkill show later in the month is the subject of a future post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The half-a-time I saw The Damned

There's some Talk Talk of a band called The Psychedelic Furs

Siouxsie & The Banshees Minneapolis 1986