Cocteau Twins Don't Do Cherubs!

Here's how I remember it



The Cocteau Twins played at the Orpheum Theater in about 1991 and my
girlfriend and I got backstage after the show. My girlfriend had clued
me into Robin Guthrie's sarcastic and gruff nature and said that she
thought he and I would get along well.

There were about 20 other people
milling about but Robin was ignoring all of them, just sitting on a
couch.

I went up to him and said "I got you figured out, I know who you
really are!"

"What the fuck are you talking about?!?" he snapped back.

I said "You're from Glasgow, you're a fat bastard. play guitar and have
a scruffy beard. Admit it, you're actually Big John Duncan from The
Exploited!"

"OH FUCK RIGHT OFF MATE!" he shouted back at me, and
then laughed and told me I was alright. He then said I should go ask Liz
about her Exploited tattoo. I asked him if she really did have one and
he said she didn't, but she DID have a home made "Sid Vicious" tattoo.

I got up from the couch and went over to where Liz was holding court
and interrupted, saying Robin told me to tell her to show me her tattoo.
Liz looked all sheepish, and my girlfriend looked like I had just
killed her puppy. Liz took me aside and rolled up her sleeve to show me
her upper shoulder, and sure enough was a bad jailhouse tattoo of a
safety pin and "Sid Vicious". Liz then assured me that I'll never find a
photo of her without that covered up.

I went back to sit on the
couch with Robin and we started talking about Sesame Street. Some very
young, very nervous goth boy came up with a pair of golden angel
statues, thrust them out to Robin and asked him to autograph one of
them.

Robin looked at the kid, looked back at me and winked, looked back at the kid and said "FUCK OFF! I don't sign cherubs!!!"

The kid also looked like his puppy had just been killed in front of
him, while Robin and I went back to talking about Sesame Street.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The half-a-time I saw The Damned

There's some Talk Talk of a band called The Psychedelic Furs

Siouxsie & The Banshees Minneapolis 1986